Subject: Groups 2 and 3 merge

From: Guy Steele <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 May 92 16:07:12 EDT

Per our discussion at the April meeting, HPFF working groups 2 and 3
(disrtibute and subroutines) are being merged.  Chuck will merge the
E-mail distribution list for hpff-subroutines into hpff-distribute
sometime next week.  Meanwhile, I apologize that some of you will
receive two copies of this message.

One of the most important questions to be resolved about the
subroutine interface is whether a subroutine call can result in a
remapping of an array as seen by the caller.

Just to get the discussion going, I will take the position that HPF
should allow a subroutine to effect remappings visible to the caller
if and only if HPF includes explicit REALIGNABLE and REDISTRIBUTABLE
attributes.  For if such attributes are in the language, then failure
to use them (in an interface block, for example) provides a guarantee
to the compiler that a given routine will not remap its arguments.
Similar remarks apply to arrays in COMMON.

Comments?  Counterproposals?

--Guy