Subject: DAGS 93 registration info

From: [email-masked] (David Kotz)
Date: Sat, 8 May 93 10:25:38 -0400

I thought you might be interested in this. Apologies if you have
already received this through our DAGS mailing list. If you have NOT
already received this, and want to be on our DAGS mailing list (I am
sending this to two other I/O mailing lists), please send a message to
[email-masked].  [Because I don't plan to send to these lists
again.]

Thanks,
dave

*********************  REMINDER ***********************************
     THE DEADLINE FOR EARLY REGISTRATION AND FUNDING IS MAY 15   
*******************************************************************         

	           CALL FOR PARTICIPATION
                    SYMPOSIUM and SCHOOL
 
                  DAGS/PC '93:  June 21-29
               Dartmouth College, Hanover, NH

              SECOND ANNUAL SUMMER INSTITUTE ON

    "ISSUES AND OBSTACLES IN THE PRACTICAL IMPLEMENTATION OF
     PARALLEL ALGORITHMS AND THE USE OF PARALLEL MACHINES"

        Symposium: PARALLEL I/O AND DATABASES (June 21-23)
        School:    PARALLEL PROGRAMMING	      (June 24-29)

                         SPONSORED BY

      The Dartmouth Institute for Advanced Graduate Studies
                in Parallel Computation (DAGS/PC)
         Department of Mathematics and Computer Science
                 The National Science Foundation
			    BellCore
	       Dartmouth Experimental Visualization Lab
		     Digital Equipment Corporation
			Kiewit Computer Center
			      NCD
		    NorthStar Computing Project

This summer, Dartmouth will hold its second DAGS institute to
promote the use of high-performance computing.  As in 1992, 
the institute will bring together researchers and
practitioners from academia and industry.  This year, the
institute will be composed of two parts: a symposium (June
21--23) of invited and contributed talks, followed by a hands-on
school (June 24--29) on parallel programming.  The informal and
beautiful setting of Dartmouth in the summer is a good working
environment which promotes discussions and new interactions among
all participants.  Housing will be available at economical rates
in college dormitories, near to conference sessions and centrally
located on the Dartmouth campus.



			SYMPOSIUM

The symposium will address issues and obstacles in the implementation
of parallel algorithms with a focus on the critical topics of parallel
I/O and databases.  The symposium will consist of prominent invited
speakers, a small number of contributed papers, and panels on
industrial concerns, large scale applications and one additional topic.
The list of invited speakers appears below:

INVITED SPEAKERS:

Alok Aggarwal (IBM T.J. Watson): 
	Communication  Latency  In  PRAM  Computations

Garth Gibson (Carnegie Mellon):
	Informed Prefetching: Converting High Throughput to Low Latency

David Scott (Intel Supercomputers):
	Parallel I/O for Dense Matrix Factorizations
	
Jeffrey Vitter (Duke):
	Paradigms for Optimal Sorting with Parallel Disks 
	and Memory Hierarchies.

David Waltz (Thinking Machines):
	Innovative Database Applications of Massively Parallel Processing

John Wilkes (Hewlett-Packard):
	Lessons from the DataMesh Parallel Storage System Project

PANEL DISCUSSIONS

	How is Industry Addressing Parallel I/O Issues?
Chaired by: Marina Chen (Yale University)

	Large Scale Applications 
Chaired by: George Cybenko (Dartmouth College)



		SYMPOSIUM SCHEDULE

Sunday 6/20
 evening: reception for early arrivals

Monday 6/21
11:00 - 1:00 pm: REGISTRATION
 1:00 - 1:30 pm: OPENING: Fillia Makedon (Dartmouth College) 
 1:30 - 2:45 pm: INVITED: John Wilkes (Hewlett-Packard)
		  Lessons from the DataMesh Parallel Storage System Project
 2:45 - 3:15 pm: BREAK
 3:15 - 3:45 pm: Orran Krieger and Michael Stumm (University of Toronto)
		  HFS: A Flexible File System for Large-Scale Multiprocessors
 3:45 - 4:15 pm: J. A. Keane, T. N. Franklin, A. J. Grant, 
		  R. Sumner, and M. Q. Xu (University of Manchester)
		  Commercial Users' Requirements for Parallel Machines
 4:15 -  5:30 pm: PANEL: Obstacles in the Implementation of Parallel Algorithms
		  Moderator: Alok Aggarwal (IBM T.J. Watson Research Center)
		  Panelists: TBD

 6:30 pm: pizza party

Tuesday 6/22

 8:30 -  9:00 am: REGISTRATION and breakfast
 9:00 - 10:15 am: INVITED: Jeffrey Vitter (Duke University)
		   Paradigms for Optimal Sorting with Parallel Disks 
		   and Memory Hierarchies.
10:15 - 10:45 am: BREAK
10:45 - 12:00 am: INVITED: David Waltz (Thinking Machines Corporation)
		   Innovative Database Applications of Massively
		   Parallel Processing

12:00 -  1:30 pm: Lunch

 1:30 -  2:45 pm: INVITED: David Scott (Intel Scientific
		   Supercomputing Division)
		   Parallel I/O for Dense Matrix Factorizations
 2:45 -  3:15 pm: BREAK
 3:15 -  3:45 pm: David Womble, David Greenberg, 
		   Stephen Wheat, and Rolf Riesen (Sandia Laboratories)
		   Beyond Core: Making Parallel Computer I/O Practical
 3:45 -  4:15 pm: Thomas Cormen and David Kotz (Dartmouth College) 
		   Integrating Theory and Practice in Parallel File Systems
 4:15 - 5:30 pm: INDUSTRIAL PANEL: 
		  Challenges of Very Large Data Storage, Retrieval,
		  and Manipulation in Parallel Computing
    	    	 Moderator: Marina Chen (Yale)
    	    	 Panelists:
    	    	   Peter Corbett (IBM T. J. Watson)
    	    	   Andrew Ogielski (Bellcore)
    	    	   ... TBD ...

 6:30 pm: cookout

Wednesday 6/23

 8:30 -  9:00 am: REGISTRATION and breakfast
 9:00 - 10:15 am: INVITED: Alok Aggarwal (IBM T.J. Watson Research Center)
		   Communication  Latency In PRAM Computations
10:15 - 10:45 am: BREAK
10:45 - 11:30 am: P. Gloor, D. Johnson, F. Makedon, J. Matthews, P. Metaxas
                  (Dartmouth College) 
                  DEMO: DAGS '92 Multimedia Proceedings Project 
11:30 - 12:00 am: Andrew Chin (Texas A&M University)
		   Locality-Preserving Hash Functions for General
		   Purpose Parallel Computation

12:00 -  1:30 pm: Lunch

 1:30 -  2:00 pm: B. Dixon and A. K. Lenstra (Princeton University, Bellcore)
		   Fast Massively Parallel Modular Arithmetic
 2:00 -  2:30 pm: Lars S. Nyland, Jan F. Prins, and John H. Reif
		   (University of North Carolina, Duke University)
		   A Data-Parallel Implementation of the Adaptive Fast
		   Multipole Algorithm
 2:30 -  3:00 pm: BREAK
 3:00 -  4:15 pm: INVITED: Garth Gibson (Carnegie Mellon University)
		   Informed Prefetching: Converting High Throughput to
		   Low Latency 
 4:15 -  5:30 pm: PANEL: Large Scale Applications
		   Moderator: George Cybenko (Dartmouth College)
		   Panelists: TBD

DAGS '93 PROGRAM COMMITTEE: Guy Blelloch, Tom Cormen, George
Cybenko, Phil Hatcher, Donald Johnson, Dave Kotz, Fillia Makedon
(chair), Panagiotis Metaxas, Grammati Pantziou, Eric Schwabe,
Clifford Stein.

STEERING COMMITTEE: Ken Bogart, Scot Drysdale, Peter Gloor, Donald
Johnson (co-chair), David Kotz, Don Kreider, Bruce Maggs, Fillia Makedon
(co-chair), Panagiotis Metaxas.

LOCAL ARRANGEMENTS: Wayne Cripps, Linda Hathorn, Debra Minichiello
(chair), Janice Thompson, Patricia Wilson.

		SCHOOL ON PARALLEL PROGRAMMING

SCHOOL DESCRIPTION:

The school for parallel programming will be a hands-on course on
programming parallel algorithms using a parallel language called NESL
as the focal system, as well as C* and High Performance Fortran (HPF).
The course will introduce several parallel data structures and a
variety of parallel algorithms and then look at how they can be
programmed.  The students will complete programming assignments on a
parallel computer.  The only prior knowledge needed is knowledge of C
programming, and after completing the course, the students come away
with an understanding of why data-parallel programming on MIMD
computers is such a pervasive trend today.  Students will also have a
chance to juxtapose NESL with C*, a language used in the real world.
Demonstrations of other parallel systems and of tools and issues
related to the uses of visualization in parallel programming are being
planned with various companies.

SCHOOL FACULTY:

	Professor Guy Blelloch, Carnegie Mellon University 

Prof Blelloch received his Ph.D. from MIT in 1988 and has been on the
faculty of CMU since.  He is an excellent lecturer, a well-known
researcher in the field of parallel computation, and the developer of
NESL.

	Professor Phil Hatcher, University of New Hampshire  

Prof. Hatcher received his Ph.D. from the Illinois Institute of
Technology and is currently an Associate Professor of CS at UNH.  He
is co-author of the book "Data-Parallel Programming on MIMD Computers".

	Professor Michael Quinn, Oregon  State University 

Prof. Quinn received his Ph.D. from Washington State Univ. and is
currently an Associate Professor of Computer Science at Oregon State.
He is co-author of the book "Data-Parallel Programming on MIMD
Computers" and the editor of IEEE Parallel and Distributed Technology.

	Dr. Gary W. Sabot, Thinking Machines Corporation

Dr. Sabot received his Ph.D. from Harvard University in 1988.  He
is the author of the book "The Paralation Model:
Architecture-Independent Parallel Programming" and editor of the
book "High Performance Computing".  His research interests
include parallel computer architecture, programming languages,
and performance analysis.

OTHER SUPPORTING SCHOOL FACULTY: 
Tom Cormen, George Cybenko, Donald Johnson, David Kotz, Fillia
Makedon, Panagiotis Metaxas, Grammati Pantziou, Clifford Stein.

			FUNDING
Funding is available, on a competitive basis, to help defray the
costs of attending both the school and the symposium.  A
description of the three programs appears below.

THE DAGS FELLOWS PROGRAM

Persons who have received their Ph.D. within the last four years can
qualify for a grant to defray the cost of participation.  To apply,
please submit a vita and a letter of support from an established
researcher and/or advisor as well as a 500 word statement indicating
your interests in parallel computation and how participation in DAGS
will help you in your work.  Deadline for the DAGS FELLOWS PROGRAM is
May 15 and awards will be given on a first-come first-served basis
according to merit.  DAGS Fellows are expected to cover their own
expenses in advance as necessary.  While grant awards will be
announced by June 1, the awards will not be given until the end of the
institute session.  Please address any questions about the DAGS
FELLOWS PROGRAM to Professor Cliff Stein 
(email: [email-masked] tel: 603-646-2760)

DAGS INTERNS PROGRAM: GRADUATE STUDENT TRAVEL GRANTS

A limited number of travel grants will be available to graduate
students who wish to participate.  Full time graduate students may
apply by sending a letter of request explaining how this institute
relates to their Ph.D. work in progress.  A letter supplying evidence
that the student is full-time and a letter of reference or support
from the chairman or academic advisor are both required.  Deadline for
the DAGS INTERNS PROGRAM is May 15.  The selections will be done by
the program committee.  DAGS INTERNS are expected to cover their own
expenses in advance as necessary.  While grant awards will be
announced by June 1, the awards will not be given until the end of the
institute session.  Please address any questions about the DAGS
INTERNS PROGRAM to Professor Tom Cormen
(email: [email-masked] tel: 603-646-2417)

DAGS SCHOLARS PROGRAM: UNDERGRADUATE STUDENTS AWARDS

A limited number of undergraduate awards are available to students
that are interested in attending the 1993 DAGS Symposium and/or School 
on Parallel Computation. The  awards are available on a competitive 
basis to full-time undergraduate students. Women and minorities are 
encouraged to apply. Six  of the awards will be given to undergraduate 
students from NECUSE institutions and will cover participation and 
living expenses. To apply, send (a) a letter describing your interest 
in parallel computation, (b) an official copy of your transcripts 
supplying evidence of your full-time student status and (c) a letter  of 
reference  from a faculty member of your department.
While the awards will be announced by June 1, the awards will not be
given until the end of the institute session.
Please address any questions about the DAGS SCHOLARS PROGRAM to DAGS
Scholars Program, c/o Prof. Panagiotis Metaxas, Computer Science
Department, Wellesley College, Wellesley, MA 02181, by May 15, 1993.

                     TRAVEL INFORMATION

Dartmouth is served by Delta Airlines, Northwest Airlines and USAir
via the Lebanon, NH, airport, which is about six miles from the
campus.  Dartmouth may also be reached via the Manchester, NH, and
Burlington, VT airports, both about ninety miles from the campus.  The
most convenient way to travel between either Manchester or Burlington
and Dartmouth is to rent a car.

Dartmouth is five miles from Interstate 89 and two miles from
Interstate 91, the preferred routes for those who travel by car.  Free
parking is available for those who travel by car.

Dartmouth is also served by Vermont Transit bus from Boston and
Burlington at a cost of about $30 each way.  Some but not all buses
stop at the Dartmouth campus.  Amtrak serves White River Junction,
Vermont, which is about ten miles from Dartmouth.

                   DINING AND ACCOMMODATIONS
LODGING

A limited number of rooms have been  reserved  at  two  Dartmouth
dormitories  and at the Hanover Inn, all within two blocks of the
conference site.  Daily rates for the Hanover Inn  are  $129/room
(single  or double) plus 8% tax.  For reservations please contact
the Hanover Inn directly:  1-800-443-7024.  Mention DAGS'93.

All dormitory rooms have shared baths.  Rooms will  be  allocated
on a first-come first-served basis.  There is also a small number
of rooms for handicapped persons.

Daily room rates (do not include meals) are as follows:

Andres - (new dorm, air conditioned) $33.50/person plus $19.00 for spouse and
$17.00/child.

Ripley(older dorm, not air conditioned) $25.25/person plus $15.25 for spouse
and $14.00/child.

The dorms are not open on Sunday, June 20, so if you are arriving
early, you must make other arrangements for the first night.  Rooms
have been reserved at the Hanover Inn, and less expensive rooms are
available at area motels.

To guarantee availability at these rates, room and dining reservations
can be made no later than June 15.



DINING

There is an optional meal plan for the school, which includes breakfast
lunch and dinner.  The cost is $115 for the duration of the school. 
These meals will be served in the Dartmouth Thayer Dining Hall, one
block from the meeting room and two blocks from the dormitories.
Meals may also be purchased in the dining hall on a meal-by-meal basis
or at restaurants in Hanover.

There is no meal plan for the symposium.  Meals not provided at the
symposium may be purchased in the dining hall on a meal-by-meal basis
or at restaurants in Hanover.
 

            DAGS/PC '93 REGISTRATION INFORMATION
			
			SYMPOSIUM

    EARLY REGISTRATION (by 5/15)     LATE REGISTRATION (after 5/15)

Regular participant    $195                            $250
Full time student       $75                             $90

The registration fee for all participants, student and non-student
includes a reception on Sunday evening, a pizza party on Monday
evening, a cookout on Tuesday evening, breakfast on Tuesday and
Wednesday morning, coffee breaks, a set of informal proceedings for
this year's symposium and a multimedia-CDROM version of last year's
proceedings.  Individual cookout tickets are available for $20 and
must be reserved and paid for by June 20.

Please fill in the information needed for  registration  on  the
attached form.  Make your payment by check or international money
order in US dollars and payable through a US bank to "Dartmouth
DAGS'93".

			SCHOOL

    EARLY REGISTRATION (by 5/15)     LATE REGISTRATION (after 5/15)

All participants     $350                         $450

School registration includes materials, coffee breaks, DAGS'93
symposium proceedings, and multimedia-CD proceedings for DAGS'92.

			COMBINED REGISTRATION

People registering for both the school and the symposium may
subtract $70 from the cost, and receive only one copy of both
proceedings. 

    EARLY REGISTRATION (by 5/15)     LATE REGISTRATION (after 5/15)

Regular participant    $475                            $630
Full time student      $355                            $455

In case of questions, please contact Deb Minichiello, local
arrangements chair (email: [email-masked], tel:
603-643-1358, fax: 603-646-1312, msgs: 603-646-3048).  You can also
contact Professor Fillia Makedon, DAGS General Chair (email:
[email-masked], tel: 603-646-3048) Confirmations will be done
by email.  If you don't receive a confirmation within three weeks of
payment, please contact Deb at the address above.  Updated versions of
this document can be obtained by sending email to
[email-masked].


---------------------- REGISTRATION FORM ------------------------

Return this form together with payment by May 15 (to avoid late
fee) to:

     DAGS '93 
     Dartmouth Institute for Advanced Graduate Studies
     Department of Mathematics and Computer Science
     Dartmouth College
     6188 Bradley Hall
     Hanover NH 03755-3551

Please, print legibly:
LAST NAME__________________ FIRST ________________ MIDDLE________
TITLE______________________ DEPT_________________________________
TELEPHONE____________(HOME) _____________(OFFICE) FAX____________
ELECTRONIC ADDRESS____________________________
FULL INSTITUTIONAL ADDRESS

NUMBER OF ACCOMPANYING PERSONS ______ (no  registration  fee  re-
quired)

REGISTERING FOR SYMPOSIUM?  		         YES ____   NO ____    
REGISTERING FOR SCHOOL?	    		         YES ____   NO ____

DO YOU QUALIFY AND WISH TO APPLY TO 
THE DAGS INTERNS/FELLOWS/SCHOLARS  PROGRAM       YES ____   NO ____
(please include application materials as described above)

NOTE: Even if you are applying to the DAGS INTERNS/FELLOWS/SCHOLARS
program, you must send in full payment with your registration.  If you
are accepted into one of these programs, you will receive your funding
at the end of the symposium/school.

AMOUNT ENCLOSED FOR REGISTRATION $__________ 
Make check payable to "Dartmouth DAGS'93" 
(Payment for registration does not include meals and accommodations)

-----------------------------------------------------------------

-----------------ROOM AND MEAL REGISTRATION FORM-----------------
Please return this form with your remittance to:

     Conference Administration
     Attn:  DAGS
     Hallgarten Hall
     Dartmouth College
     Hanover, NH 03755

LAST  NAME_______________   FIRST____________   MIDDLE_____
TITLE______________   DEPT______________
TELEPHONE______________(h) ______________(o)     FAX____________
ELECTRONIC ADDRESS__________________
FULL INSTITUTIONAL ADDRESS

ACCOMPANYING MEMBERS  ______________
DAY AND TIME OF ARRIVAL_________ DAY AND TIME OF DEPARTURE_________

SPECIAL NEEDS: Handicapped Yes__ No__
Food  restrictions  (please describe):
Number and ages of accompanying children:

Please reserve accommodations for ___ persons @____ total per day
Facility  chosen  (circle one) Andres   Ripley
for (circle)   Mo 6/21, Tu 6/22, We 6/23, 
               Th 6/24, Fr 6/25, Sa 6/26, Su 6/27,
               Mo 6/28, Tu 6/29, We 6/30

                         Total for accommodations:        $_______

Optional  school meal plan at $115.00/person for ___ person
                         Total for meals:                $_______
Additional cookout tickets @ $20.00/person for ____ persons
                          Total for additional cookout: $________

(Make check payable to "Dartmouth College")
                                        CHECK  ENCLOSED  $_______
-----------------------------------------------------------------