Subject: time to consider options for requirements

From: [email-masked] (Alok Choudhary)
Date: Tue, 10 May 94 08:55:04 EDT

We have two basic goals.

1. Writing a requirements report.

2. Coming up qith simple additions/changes in current HPF. E.G.,

    a) 64 bit pointers
    b) Out-of-core directives added to arrays to indicate large arrays
       and guiding the compiler to handle such arrays. Also, it is
       possible to specify amount of memory with this directive but
       that may be very machine dependent.

    c) Asynchronous I/O (Posix)

 We need to address 2 by next meeting for some sort of straw vote and further
 action.

 Things to consider wrt 1 above include distributions of files, mapping
 on disks etc.

 Please provide your input ASAP.

thanks
Alok

---

From: Richard Shapiro <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 May 94 09:46:01 EDT

Date: Tue, 10 May 94 08:55:04 EDT
   From: [email-masked] (Alok Choudhary)

   We have two basic goals.

       a) 64 bit pointers

This can be handled by the KIND mechanism in F90. Why invent yet another mechanism?

   thanks
   Alok