Subject: strawpoll on intrinsics - rlp

From: "Rex Page" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 May 92 15:30:40 -0500

processor inquiries     
  PROCESSORS_SHAPE()         Yes, without procs argument
  NUMBER_OF_PROCESSORS(DIM)  Yes, without procs argument
  Allowed in HPF directives  Yes

bit inquiries
  POPCNT   Yes
  POPPAR   Yes
  LEADZ    Yes
  ILEN     Yes
  with non-integer arguments?   No
       The ISO standard gives no bit-model of other types
       (except REAL with b=2, and even then accuracy issues
       prohibit reasonable predictions of POPCNT etc. values
       based on the value of a REAL argument).

reductions
  MAXLOC, MINLOC with DIM argument    Yes
  AND     Yes
  OR      Yes
  EOR     Yes
  PARITY  Yes

prefix reductions
  XXX_PREFIX(ARRAY, DIM, MASK, SEGMENT, EXCLUSIVE)   Yes
  XXX_SUFFIX(ARRAY, DIM, MASK, SEGMENT, EXCLUSIVE)   Yes
  Denote segments by contiguous blocks of like LOGICAL values.

combining send functions
  Abstain  (good testing ground for the notion of assignments
            to arrays with array-valued subscripts containing
            duplicates?)

sorting
  GRADE_UP(ARRAY,DIM)     Yes (marginal; concerned about need
  GRADE_DOWN(ARRAY,DIM)   Yes  for these in typical HPF applications)
  Guaranteed stability    Yes

  INDEX(ARRAY,SUBS)         No   (but a GRADE function with an
  GRADE(ARRAY1,ARRAY2,...)  No    array and a comparision operator
                                  as arguments and an order-index
                                  represented by an integer array
                                  as its result is attractive)