Subject: Re: System intrinsic functions for HPFF

From: Rob Schreiber <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 92 17:20:41 PDT

Dear Arnold Krommer,

Yes, I would like to see this material.   The best form
would be online, either postscript, tex, latex, or
ascii.   That way I can distribute it to the intrinsics
subcommittee of the HPFF.

Thanks for your interest, and I look forward to reading
your report.   We are certainly considering intrinsics
of the class you describe (system inquiry intrinsics)
and we would be happy to be the beneficiaries of your
experience and work on the problem.

Rob Schreiber

    RIACS
    MS T045-1, NASA Ames Research Center
    Moffett Field, CA 94035

	From [email-masked] Tue Jun  9 00:50:55 1992
	Subject: System intrinsic functions for HPFF
	To: [email-masked]
	X-Mailer: ELM [version 2.3 PL11]

	Dear Rob Schreiber,

	recently I heard about the HPFF activities concerning
	intrinsic functions. I think our group at the Technical
	University Vienna could contribute some useful concepts
	in the field of system intrinsic functions for parallel
	programing.

	It is our belief that portable programs that run efficiently
	on different parallel systems are only possible if they can
	adjust themselves to fit the respective computer system they
	run on. The essence of such programs are algorithms which are
	able to adapt themselves to different computer architectures:
	ARCHITECTURE ADAPTIVE ALGORITHMS (see Technical Report ACPC/TR
	92-2 of the Austrian Center for Parallel Computation). 
	To write such programs, language elements (environment enquiries)
	are needed to provide information about the available processors,
	memory hierarchies, communication facilities, etc.

	We have made a detailed suggestion for the definition of such
	functions. If you are interested in getting written material about
	our concepts, please let me know (please add your regular mail
	address).

	                                 With kind regards
	                                 
	                                           Arnold Krommer
	                                           
	----------------------------------------------------------
	Arnold R. Krommer
	Institut for Applied and Numerical Mathematics
	Technical University Vienna
	Wiedner Hauptstr. 8-10/115
	A-1040 WIEN

	[email-masked]