Subject: HPF document structure

From: David Loveman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 92 08:06:25 PDT

I have been thinking a bit, actually a lot, about the mechanism of
producing and distributing the results of our efforts.  I have reviewed
Chuck's two proposed document styles, both of which have plusses and
minuses.  The biggest minus I see in both of them is the monumental
amount of writing our group would have to do to take the results of the
working groups and put them into that form.  

I have a proposed meta-structure for the document, in which the
editorial group will propose style and structure standards for the
document, and require the working groups, as they finalize their
proposals, to produce the text of most of the chapters in an
almost-ready-to-be-used form.

I have a prototype directory structure developed that allows for the
(semi) automated updating and printing of the document.  There is a
directory named hpf-report which contains the following files:

README
MAKE-HPF-DOCUMENT - a script to run latex, etc
PRINT-ALL-RELEVANT-TEX - a script to print the tex sources
CLEANUP - a script that deletes all backup files, tex artifacts, etc
hpf-document.tex - the document structure, a copy follows
syntax-macros.tex - Guy Steele's syntax macros
acknowledgements.tex - the first "chapter"
. . . . .
bibliography.tex - the last "chapter"

For distribution, we can make a compressed tar file of the directory. 
Then anyone with a standard LaTeX can duplicate the document at their
site (after we eliminate the site-dependencies that are no doubt all throughout it).

I propose that we have a meeting early on Thursday to discuss the
details, decide if this is the approach we want, if so, fix the errors
in my first cut, and then have discussions with the working group heads
about the effort required to turn a thousand email message into
coherent chapters of a combined report.

Thoughts???

-David

**********************************************************************
The hpf-document.tex file is as follows:

%hpf-document.tex

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
% REVISION HISTORY:
%    92-6-18  David Loveman - first version
%    92-7-15  David Loveman - version for July HPFF meeting
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

\documentstyle[11pt]{report}
\pagestyle{plain}
\pagenumbering{arabic}
\marginparwidth 0pt
\oddsidemargin=.25in
\evensidemargin  .25in
\marginparsep 0pt
\topmargin=-.5in
\textwidth=6.0in
\textheight=9.0in
\parindent=2em

\include{syntax-macros}

\title{High Performance Fortran \\ Language Specification}
\author{High Performance Fortran Forum}
%\date{ }

\begin{document}

\maketitle

\newpage

\pagenumbering{roman}

\copyright 1992 Rice University, Houston Texas.  Permission to copy 
without fee all or part of this material is granted, provided the 
Rice University copyright notice and the title of this document 
appear, and notice is given that copying is by permission of Rice 
University.

\tableofcontents

\newpage

\include{acknowledgements}

\newpage

\pagenumbering{arabic}

\include{overview}

\include{terms-and-concepts}

\include{distribution}

\include{statements}

\include{intrinsics}

\include{io}

\include{hpf-subset}

\appendix

\include{appendixes}

\cleardoublepage

\onecolumn

\addcontentsline{toc}{chapter}{Bibliography}

\include{bibliography}

\end{document}

Currently the "chapters" are stubs, such as the following "statements" chapter:

%statements.tex

%Version of July 14, 1992

\chapter{Statements\protect\footnote{version of July 14, 1992}}
\label{statements}

\section{Element Array Assignment - the FORALL Statement}

\subsection{Single Statement FORALL}

\subsection{Multiple Statement FORALL}

\section{Parallel Loops - The INDEPENDENT Directive}