Subject: hpf - f90 group next meeting

From: [email-masked] (Mary E Zosel)
Date: Wed, 2 Dec 92 13:57:53 -0800

TO: Fortran-90 Subgroup

Chuck forwarded 3 comments received on chapters 8 and 9 --- copies
attached at the end of this message.  Also, Rob has done some
editorial work on chapter 8 which he sent out a few days ago.

I have gone thru the comments ---
Stanford had a simple query about HPF --- but points out what I
think is an oversight.  We should list LEN as one of the array-valued
functions in the subset. (The scalar verson is part of F77).

Metcalf did a wonderful job of editorial proofing.  One of his
comments is technical rather than editorial --- he claims that the
constraints 3,4,5 and 7 on page 92 should be part of the syntax
rather than constraints.  This will take some research/thought.

SO --- here is what I propose for the meeting next week:

(1) I will prepare a new draft of chapters 8 and 9  --- will
send them out to you when ready.  The new drafts will incorporate
  - Rob's editorial changes for chapter 8
  - Metcalf's editorial changes for both chapters
  - the proposal that LEN be part of the subset
  - some additional cleanup of 9.4/9.5 inspired by Metcalf comments.
  - any appropriate additional input I get from you by Friday.

(2) We can discuss Metcalf's constraint/syntax proposal. I
would welcome anyone who would like to take a crack at syntax for
these constraints (most of syntax probably goes in chapter 3). Any
takers for this homework??? Maureen?  Rex? anyone else?

(3) The subject addressed in  paragraph 2 under 8.3.2  needs a bit
of attention. There is an additional language restriction here
under the discussion that really belongs in the "rules".  Also
picky-picky - and expression can be a primary which can be a simple
thing like x(i).  This needs to read correctly so (F77 style)
array elements can be passed. {if both sides ssequential}. Then
we should make the remainder of the restriction match what F90 allows.
If F90 allows a user to pass array-valued expressions (slices,
constructors, computed values) in to dummys which don't match in
rank - then we should require that the dummy be sequential and require
that the compiler arrange for a "storage-sequence
association-preserving" copy of the expression rather than say it
is illegal.

(4) any other topics you want to bring up.

----

Please - if any of the others of you are inspired to do some
editorial work - see if you can get me suggestions by Friday. Chuck
will print a new version of the document based on what he has Monday
noon.

As usual, I plan to arrive sometime early afternoon Wed.  I'll try 
to send out a message Monday with a suggested meeting time.

   -mary-

--------

>From @ricevm1.rice.edu:[email-masked]  Thu Nov 26 02:58:05 1992
Date:         Thu, 26 Nov 92 09:40:09 SET
From: Michael Metcalf <[email-masked]>
Subject:      Ch. 8
To: [email-masked]

Ch. 8

P. 89, line 3: delete 'some'; replace 'with' by 'associated through'

       line 4: add 'statements' after 'ALENCE'

       lines 8 and 19; add ':' at end of line

       line 12: delete 'Standrad ... Fortran'

P. 90, line 5: move '.' before '(5.5.2.1)'

       line 6: add 'individual' after 'whose'

       Point 5., (e): terminate with '.'

P. 91, Example 7: change 'C' to '!' and 'AVG' to 'aggregate variable group'

P. 92, points 3., 4., 5., and 7. are actually Constraints and should be
       added to the bnf for compile-time checking

       point 3: change 'one-dimensional' to 'rank-one' GLOBAL

       point 5: change 'user-defined' by 'derived-data'

       point 6: 'nonsequential' in Roman

       point 7: add 'function' after 'intrinsic'

       8.2.5, line 4: move 'exactly' to follow ' cover'

P. 93, 2 lines before Example: change 'which' to 'that'; change 'so they'
         to 'such that their individual numeric storage units'

       next line: add ',' before 'are'

P. 94, 8.3, line 5: add 'argument' after 'dummy'

       8.3.1, point 2, line 1: delete 'which'

                       lines 2 and 3: add 'argument' after 'actual'
                             and 'dummy' (twice)

              point 3: line 1: delete second 'variable'

P. 96, paras 2 and 3: add 'argument' after 'actual' and 'dummy' (7 times)

       para 2, line 2: change 'may' to 'must'

       line beginning 'the same': delete 'the same'

       next line: change clause preceding ':' to 'There is a special
                consideration for variables of type character'

       last lines: add 'argument' (twice)

                                        Mike Metcalf

>From [email-masked]  Fri Nov 20 08:34:58 1992
Received: from sun2.nsfnet-relay.ac.uk by cs.rice.edu (AA13677); Fri, 20 Nov 92 08:34:58 CST
Via: uk.ac.edinburgh.physics.theory; Fri, 20 Nov 1992 13:47:36 +0000
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 92 13:47:25 GMT
Message-Id: <[email-masked]>
From: Nick Stanford <[email-masked]>
Subject: F90 and subset HPF query
To: [email-masked]

I am porting some Connection machine code to HPF and have been using
Version 0.4 of your draft HPF spec. I have a small query about section 9.2
(Fortran 90 features in subset HPF).

Are 'CASE' and 'LEN' included in the subset. They are part of F90, but
seem to have been ommitted from the draft.

Thanks

==============================================================================
Nick Stanford
Theoretical Physics PhD Student
[email-masked]
                                                           Assistant Warden
Room 4309                                                  A flat,
J.C.M.B.                                                   Holland House,
Kings Buildings                                            Pollock Halls,
Mayfield Road                                              18 Holyrood Park Road
Edinburgh,Great Britain                                    Edinburgh EH16 5AY
(031) 6505221                                              (031)6671971 ext 2076
===============================================================================


>From @ricevm1.rice.edu:[email-masked]  Thu Nov 26 03:51:46 1992
Date:         Thu, 26 Nov 92 10:33:59 SET
From: Michael Metcalf <[email-masked]>
Subject:      Ch. 9
To: [email-masked]

Ch. 9

P. 97, 2nd bullet: add 'and construct' before ','

       3rd bullet: add 'a' after 'and'

       next line: delete 'multiple'

       9.2: add lead sentence: 'The items listed here are the features of the
                 HPF subset language.'

       1st bullet: add 'All' at beginning, and 'features' before ','

P. 98, line 1: add '4' after '('

       The bit manipulation intrinsic functions are listed here a second time

P. 99: ditto for MVBITS (and have you considered BIT_SIZE?)

       Move 1st para to beginning of whole bullet (deleting the hyphen
             in its 2nd line)

       9.3, para 3, line 4: add 'the' before 'de-'

            para 4, line 3: replace 'to' by 'for'

            para 5, line 2: delete 'reduce'

                    line 3: change 'in .. space"' to 'for memory management'

       last line: add 's' to 'intent'

P. 100, line 3: replace 'constraints' [a special word] by 'exceptions'

        bullet 1: delete 'are not ... subset'

               2: delete 'is not ... subset'

               add new bullet: '# the PURE directive.'

               3: delete 'is not ... FORALL'; change 'The' to 'As'; delete
                      'so'; replace 'intrinsics' by 'intrinsic funtions'

               4: replace whole by: 'the HPF library from Chapter 7.'

               5: replace whole by: 'values of the optional DIM arguments
                   to the Fortran 90 MAXLOC and MINLOC intrinsic functions
                   that are not initialization expressions.'

               6: 'extrinsic' in upper case; delete 'are not ... subset'

                                  Mike Metcalf