Subject: Chapter 7

From: James Cownie <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 1993 17:01:43 +0100

Page 143: line 3-8
	This explanation is incorrect. It is impossible to specify a
mapping that would cause a single numeric storage unit to be split
(other than by overlatying a character variable, which is forbidden in
the standard). What we're trying to do is to ensure that no atomic
variable is split. The problem being that (by definition in the
standard) a variable of type COMPLEX or DOUBLE PRECISION occupies TWO
numeric storage units, which we want to keep together on the same
processor.

This code does NOT split a numeric storage unit, but is what we're
trying to forbid...

	DOUBLE PRECISION D(10)
	INTEGER I(20)
	EQUIVALENCE(I,D)
!HPF$DISTRIBUTE I(CYCLIC)

I think you need the "atomic variable" concept here as well to outlaw
the above code.

Page 145: line 37/38
	"matches the dummy argument as the actual argument" should (I
think !) read
	"matches both the dummy argument and the actual argument"

-- Jim
James Cownie 
Meiko Limited			Meiko Inc.
650 Aztec West			Reservoir Place
Bristol BS12 4SD		1601 Trapelo Road
England				Waltham
				MA 02154

Phone : +44 454 616171		+1 617 890 7676
FAX   : +44 454 618188		+1 617 890 5042
E-Mail: [email-masked]   or    [email-masked]